Here is a blog post from my site Kath Not Kat. Soon I won’t be uploading new content onto Binging on Beetroot at all so I’d love it if you joined me over on Kath Not Kat. ❤
I am never more in love with slipping my trainers on than when I’m training for an event. At the end of the month I’ll be running the Edinburgh Half Marathon and the run up (yeah, you heard me) to it has made me more pumped than ever to reach new goals. Training for something is like a mini New Year that leads to a lot of ambitious resolutions. Nothing excites me more than reading about other people’s fitness goals. I re-read Anna’s from The Anna Edit all the time just to get me pumped about my own; reading them is enough to make me feel certain that I’ll reach my goals (even the far-fetched ones*). For this reason I thought I’d write out my own fitness goals so I’m forced to hold myself accountable. At the very least, my mum will read this and surely remind me of my overreaching.
In the last couple of months, my gym membership has suffered. I made a decision to focus on my running for the time being; this decision has meant most of my workouts have been running and I only go to the gym when I needed a little something on the side. I have, however, finally dipped my toe into the weightlifting area of the gym (after a couple of years of claiming I would) and I. Love. It. Don’t get me wrong, one morning, I dropped at 10kg weight on my foot and had to play it cool, in fear a fellow gym-goer saw me. Most of the time, however, I feel pretty fly.
For now, though, I’m working on my arms. As a runner, my legs are my biggest cheerleaders but, as a runner, my arms don’t get trained as frequently. In the last couple of months I’ve been following a little routine with dumbbells, trying to increase my weight whenever and wherever I can. Here’s how I do:
3 sets of 20 reps of:
- Bicep curl
- Shoulder press
- Tricep extension
- Chest press
(Sometimes) followed by:
- 100 reps with my resistant bands
- As many press ups as I can muster (“97, 98, 99…”)
- 3 sets of 20 reps of tricep dips
Now let me tell you about everything I want to work on in the next few months.
My ten current fitness goals:
- Run a half marathon in sub two hours…
- … And then continue my weekly big runs once I’ve done the Edinburgh Half Marathon
- Work on my 5k time outside of ParkRuns (I only kick 5k butt when feeling competitive with the crowds of sleepy Saturday morning runners)
- Train my core after every run
- Swim thirty lengths without stopping
- Continue weight-lifting, training my arms twice a week
- Do ten GOOD press-ups without stopping
- Leg press 120kg
- Go to one spin class OR
- One body pump class a week
What are your current fitness goals?
*One day I’ll be able to do fifty press ups in a row.